Editor Profile – Jawwad Farid
Jawwad Farid is the founder and CEO of Alchemy Technologies, an enterprise risk practice that builds and deploys risk, treasury, market and credit risk platforms. He is a Fellow Society of Actuaries (Chicago), a MBA from Columbia Business School (New York City) and a computer science graduate. During the last 18 years, he has worked as a consultant in North America, Pakistan and the United Kingdom with a number of blue chip clients including Hartford Life, Aegon, American General, Goldman Sachs, ING, Manu Life, Safeco, Merrill Lynch, Met Life, Sun America, Nationwide, Phoenix Life, Sumitomo Mitsui Bank, Sun Life of Canada, Pacific Life, AllState, Fidelity Investments, Transamerica, Skandia, GE Financial Assurance, Lincoln National, Ohio National, AXA Equitable and Washington Mutual Bank.
Jawwad’s core areas of expertise include Asset/Risk Management, Investments, Product Development and the Financial Services Back Office. Jawwad blends a rare combination of risk management, information systems, international standards, business and product development skill set side by side with his actuarial expertise. His regional client list includes Asian Development Bank, First Gulf Bank, Riyad Bank, Dubai Islamic Bank, Noor Islamic Bank, Dubai Bonds, Deutsche Bank, State Bank of Pakistan, National Bank of Pakistan, Muslim Commercial Bank, Crescent Commercial, MyBank, Dawood Islamic Bank, KASB Bank, United Bank Limited, Pak-Kuwait Investment, Saudi Pak Commercial Bank, ABN AMRO, InvestBank, Invest Capital Markets, State Life Insurance, Dawood Family Takaful, Asia Health Care, Adamjee Insurance, Shell Pakistan, International General Insurance and Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan. Jawwad is also a regular contributor to the Learning Corporate Finance portal as well as on the SP Jain platform where he teaches courses on Entrepreneurship, Risk Management and Derivative pricing to executive MBA students in Dubai and Singapore.
Jawwad’s expertise includes:
- Appointed actuary.
- Risk based capital, investment and portfolio optimization strategies.
- Fixed Income, Foreign Exchange and Commodities (Oil) research.
- Basel II market, credit and operational risk management framework.
- Probability of Default modeling and Days Past Due analysis.
- Centralized or distributed Middle & Back office design, review, integration, assessment and deployment for banks, brokerage, mutual funds, and insurance companies.
- Derivative pricing, application and usage.
- Valuation of contingent products, benefits and solutions in investments, portfolio management, life insurance, general insurance, finance and risk.
- Development and conduction of individual and institutional skill development & capacity building programs.